News

Governor Lamont lifts some COVID restrictions on youth sports activities on Oklahoma Information

governor-lamont-lifts-some-covid-restrictions-on-youth-sports-activities-on-oklahoma-information

Governor Ned Lamont announced Thursday that he plans to lift some restrictions on youth sports in Connecticut as the state’s COVID-19 metrics continue to improve.

The Democrat said athletes are allowed to participate in previously banned indoor sports such as cheerleading and competitive dance. Lamont said he expects restrictions on some outdoor sports that are at high risk of infection, such as lacrosse, to be relaxed soon.

The governor said the number of fans admitted to youth sporting events will also be increased. The state will set an upper limit of 25% capacity and 200 fans, whichever is lower.

“I loved watching my kids play hockey and basketball, and I know there have been limited opportunities in the past few months. I think we’re going to lift this cap to some extent, while still being careful. ” he said.

Lamont said he also plans to open state borders on March 1 to allow for interstate athletic competitions and tournaments. In the meantime, in consultation with the state Department of Public Health, colleges can make their own decisions about whether fans can enter venues, he said.

The University of Connecticut said it has no immediate plans to change its attendance policy.

“We will continue to follow instructions from the Department of Public Health and the Department of Economic and Community Development that recommend the personal participation of a maximum of four friends or family members per athlete and coach,” spokesman Pat McKenna said in an email. “Any decision to adapt this policy would be made in consultation with DPH and DECD.”

In other coronavirus news:

———

DISEASES

Lamont said he expected to post a list of specific medical conditions residents must have in order to be considered for the next round of COVID-19 vaccinations on Monday if people with comorbidities are eligible for a shot.

The governor said his administration is still reviewing recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which have two lists of diseases posted on their website. One of these are diseases and conditions that put adults at increased risk of serious illnesses at any age, including cancer, chronic kidney disease, type 2 diabetes, and pregnancy. The second list includes conditions that can put people at increased risk, such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, and high blood pressure.

“Give us a few more days to look at this. I know how scared people are. I know CDC is kind of comfortable here too. Obviously, those with the highest acute risk should be prioritized, ”he said. “We will work with the hospitals and doctors, as well as those who have a general practitioner, to make sure they can reach people who are in this condition.”

People aged 65 and over are currently allowed to register for vaccination appointments. Lamont found Thursday that 29% of those aged 65 to 74 and 68% of those aged 75 and over received at least one shot. He expressed concern that the percentage of people aged 75 and over is no greater.

“We’ll have to work hard to make sure the rest of this cohort get vaccinated,” he said, adding that approximately 14% of the total state population has received at least one dose to date.

———

FEDERAL VACCINE SUPPLY

President Joe Biden’s senior coronavirus advisor Andy Slavitt on Thursday praised Connecticut’s efforts to introduce COVID-19 vaccinations and promised the federal government would continue to expand supplies to the state.

Slavitt appeared at Lamont’s briefing with reporters and said the government would periodically tell the state how much vaccine he would receive over a three-week period so state officials have an amount to count on. He said the number of cans will “only increase” and “never decrease” as production increases.

Josh Geballe, Lamont’s chief operating officer, said Connecticut had received most of the doses it expected for this week – about 90,000 of the roughly 100,000 first and second doses – despite the storms and outages that hit much of the U.S. in the last few days.

While the distributor of the Moderna vaccine had significant challenges due to the bad weather in Kentucky, Geballe said the impact on Connecticut was limited.

“We have most of our doses on-site and work with our vendors when necessary to ship the vaccine across the state,” he said.

However, Geballe acknowledged that Moderna and Pfizer’s shipments for the next week could be affected by the storm. He said the government was closely monitoring the situation but so far there had been no signs of delay.

Meanwhile, officials are optimistic that a state-run vaccination clinic could open soon. Geballe said federal officials were in Bridgeport on Wednesday to look at the state-recommended location. According to Geballe, Connecticut has filed applications with FEMA for smaller mobile clinics that could vaccinate people in communities and elsewhere. The vaccine supply for these new clinics, as well as additional doses expected for state-qualified health centers, will be in addition to the state’s regular allocation, he said.

———

MOHEGAN SUN CLINIC

A large-scale vaccination facility will open at Mohegan Sun’s Earth Expo and Convention Center on Friday. Operated by the Yale New Haven Health System, the site is expected to serve up to 300 Connecticut residents and will be able to provide more vaccinations as the state increases.

Current Eligible Residents can schedule a vaccination appointment by visiting www.ynhhs.org/covidvaccine and selecting the Mohegan Sun location.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed in any way without permission.

0 Comments
Share